October 19, 2010

Potato Soup

I love potatoes.  I guess it's good that I live in Idaho, right?  After all, it says right there on the license plate "famous potatoes".
 
My family likes potatoes, too, which is why this is one of our absolutely favorite soups.
 
It's also super easy to make, especially if you have a crock-pot. 
Incidentally, I tried out the crock-pot for the first time today. 
 
I think I'm in love.
 
Right after lunch, I chopped up all of the ingredients, dumped them in the crock-pot, added the chicken broth (actually, I used vegetable bullion), seasoned it, and set it on high. 
By this evening, viola!  Beautiful soup.  Delicious soup.  And a happy family.  And a happy cook who sat around reading instead of having to make dinner;)
 
But don't take my word for it, try this soup out for yourself!
 
.....
 
~Potato Soup~
 
{serves 4}
 
Ingredients as follows...
8 slices of bacon
2 medium onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
4 large potatos, peeled and diced (I never peel them)
1/2 tsp. majoram (we never have any on hand, so I've never used it - turns out just fine:)
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf (never have this either, so instead I add a sprinkle of sage)
49 ounces of chicken broth, vegetable bullion broth, or whatever kind of broth you want to use.
 
Instructions as follows...
In a large soup pan, fry bacon until crisp.  Remove and crumble.  Add onions, celery, and carrots to bacon fat.  Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.  Pour off any remaining fat and discard.  Add potatoes, spices, broth and bacon.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until potatoes are very tender.
 
Note: For a thicker soup, remove 1-2 cups of the soup and place in blender.  Process until smooth and return mixture to soup pan.
 
If using a crock-pot...
Cook the carrots, onions and celery, then put it in the pot.  Add the potatoes, broth and spices.  Cook until the potatoes are tender.  I prefer to cook bacon in the microwave, instead of a frying pan, and I added it to the soup after the soup was done cooking.  Turned out great!
 
- Recipe from Mom's Updated Recipe Box: 250 Family Favorites Made Quick and Easy by Donna L. Weihofen, R.D.-
 
 
Happy cooking, y'all!
 

0 interesting remarks:

Post a Comment

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!