February 15, 2011

The Literary Heroine Blog Party - The Questions

~The Questions~
  • What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? A true heroine puts the needs of others ahead of her own.  She is gentle and kind, always up for adventure, and always a lady no matter what the circumstances.
  • Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
-Jo March-
I'm not a tomboy, but we have the same quick temper and a knack for getting ourselves in trouble with our hasty words.
I treasure Marmee's advice to you, Jo.
Please note that I do not admire Jo's temper, I simply relate to it;)

  -Elizabeth Bennet-
I love your quick wit.
 
-Kate from Stepping Heavenward-
Same as for Jo.
My mom gave me this book just when I needed it most.
 
-Millie Keith-
Millie, I admire your faith, your strong convictions, and your willingness to share the gospel.
  • Five of your favorite historical novels? The Scarlet Pimpernel (the whole series, really), The Scottish Chiefs, Captain Blood, Pearl Maiden, The Last of the Mohicans, and Little Women.
  • Out of those five books who is your favorite character and why?  The Scarlet Pimpernel, aka Sir Percy Blakeney wins hands down, although Peter Blood runs a very close second because of his delightful Irish accent)  Sir Percy is the perfect gentleman, he loves is wife, and he's willing to lay down his life to save others.  I've heard, though haven't been able to verify this as a fact, that Sir Percy really did exist.  Wouldn't that be awesome?!
  • If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?  Scotland and Austria - I want to do and see everything in Scotland, including a horseback ride cross country over the highlands and on the beach (you really can do that!), and, while I was across the pond, I'd visit my relatives in Austria:)
  • What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?  The early American frontier - everything was so new and exciting!
  • You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert.  Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of?  Probably Kellie and I singing...possibly including a yodeling monkey and a chicken on a bicycle!
  • If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?  Well, as I've already attended such a party as Marguerite Blakeney, I think I would go as either Arabella Bishop (from Captain Blood) or Jo March.
  • What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?  Chocolate is...creamy, delicious, goodness.  The only thing better than plain chocolate is chocolate paired with mint=)
  • Favorite author(s)?  Baroness Orczy, G.A. Henty, Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, James Fenimore Cooper, Rafael Sabatini, Lousia May Alcott, L.M. Montgomery...shall I continue?
  • As a small, imaginative, red-haired damsel might query; would you rather be divinely beautiful, dazzlingly clever, or angelically good?  Why?  Oh, dear me!  I think I shall have to agree with Matthew here and say "I don't know."  However, if pressed, I'd rather be either dazzlingly clever or angelically good, because I'd enjoy being clever and I'd love to be really good:)
  • In which century were most of the books you read written?  19th century
  • In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is…  Sir Percy Blakeney, of course!
  • Describe your ideal dwelling place.   A country victorian style house in the country, surrounded by trees, with a pond and a stream gurgling nearby.  The house will be white with lilac shutters and trim, with a wrap around porch that goes all the way around the house, a bay window with a window seat, a window seat at the end of the upstairs hallway concealed from view by curtains with a "shh, I'm reading" sign, a library with shelves from floor to ceiling with those neat little rolling ladders to reach the topmost books, a kitchen with a cooking island and a big sink, an attic crammed full of old furniture and trunks full of delightful things from days gone by, lace curtains on all the windows, a laundry chute, a music room with a baby grand piano, wood flooring throughout the whole house, and a room set aside as the school room.  Also, no ideal dwelling place of mine would be complete without a barn, so a large barn with plenty of room for my horses, sheep and other livestock, a cozy place for me to sleep during lambing season, and a covered walkway from the barn to the house so I don't have to shovel a path through the snow.  And this ideal dwelling place will be located in the ideal, beautiful state of Idaho!  There - you asked for it;)
  • Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name?  Well, I can't think of any at the moment... 
  •  In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...  Oh dear, this is a hard question - and I came up with it!  What was I thinking?;)  Okay, Lady Mar from The Scottish Chiefs - a completely odious, traitorous woman, to be sure!  I also have to say Mr. Wickham from Pride & Prejudice or Mr. Willoughby from Sense & Sensibility, because they're so deceptively pleasant at first glance.
  • Three favorite Non-fiction books?  God's Word, Back to Basics, and Adam's Synchronological Chart of History.
  • Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon?  Sitting in the pasture while my sheep graze, reading a new book, with my dog leaning against me, and a kitty or lamb in my lap.
  • Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character.  Either a sweet, little, creamy wool 1940s hat that perches on the back of my head, with ribbons and lace, or a big, wide brim hat, with ostrich plumes, yards of lace, and a small spray of flowers nestled in the lace.  I don't know that those portray my true character, but those are the hats I would most like;)
  • Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year.  Well, definitely my mom being so sick and finally discovering that she has Lyme disease.  Also, my cousin's wedding, serving on a jury (that was fun!!), and the Epic Pilgrimage.
  • Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.  Hebrews 12:28&29 - Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
    For our God is a consuming fire. 
  • And lastly, as I am a rather businesslike hostess, may I ask you your views regarding those adorable little items - namely pin back and mirror back buttons?  1). Where would you choose to display a button badge to best showcase your unique style?  2). What image and/or sentiment would most make you smile were it inscribed on your very own compact mirror? 1) I should add it to the collection already displayed on my laptop case, and 2) I'd like the picture of Audrey Hepburn on the bike with the text "Smile":)

0 interesting remarks:

Post a Comment

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!