March 17, 2011

Costume Inspiration

Being the costume junkie that I am, I am simply enraptured with the beautiful dresses worn by Arwen and Eowyn in the Lord of the Rings movies, especially Eowyn's.
 
The Victory Dress -
 
I'm in love - in LOVE - with this powder blue dress of Eowyn's.  
 
She wears it at the victory celebration in Edoras in The Return of the King.  In the movie, you don't get to see much of it (all head shots), but I finally found some good pictures of it here (and the rest of the pictures in this post).
 
Above is both the over and under dress, but it's the under dress that I'm particularly interested in...
 
 
I love the buttons on the front.
 
You can see the pattern on the fabric better in this shot...
It's so sweet and delicate.  I love it!  I already said that, didn't I:}
 
.....
 
The White Dress -
 
 
My favorite elements from this dress are the embroidery around the neck and the laces on the sleeves.
 
 
 
.....
 
The Green Dress -
 
The velvet is so sumptuous=)
 
I'm really, really liking the collar...
 
 
.....
 
The Shieldmaiden Dress -
 
Like the white dress, I really like the lacing on the sleeves and the sleeves themselves...and the bodice.  And, while I'm at it, her sword - the curved hand guard is shaped like two horse heads:)
 
Here it is with a brown skirt.
.....
 
Arwen's Periwinkle Dress -
 
This dress was not used in the movie, unfortunately, but it is beautiful!  I love the colors and the beading...
 
 
 
.....
 
I have visions of beautiful medieval gowns swirling 'round in my head.  What bliss.
 
Actually, I have a medieval gown already in the works that I started about a year ago, but I was having some trouble with the over dress.  I haven't even started the under dress, and I am so thankful now that I didn't!=)
 
Now I'm planning to incorporate the button front into the under dress and incorporate the laced sleeves into the over dress.
 
But, I am extremely hesitant to experiment on the nice fabric I bought.  That makes sense, doesn't it?  Yes, yes it does. :)
 
So, I'm planning a fabric store trip for Friday, which happens to be my birthday.  I thought it would be a nice way to spend the day, fabric store and then sewing:) 
I want a lighter weight, less expensive fabric to play with (I've run out of old sheets;), but I still want it to look nice so I can wear it.   No point in buying fabric if you're not going to wear it, right?!
I'm thinking linen at this point, in cream, brown, or blue. 
 
I'll keep y'all posted;)

0 interesting remarks:

Post a Comment

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!