March 7, 2012

Going Through the Era's {Random Wednesday} - 1930's

I'm linking up to Bramblewood Fashion's Going Through the Era's event!




 This week {March 4th-10th} is the 1930s.
Today's theme is...Random Wednesday! 
{share photos/magazine scans/dishes/cleaning recipes/things you own from the era/etc...}

The perfect opportunity to share some vintage pictures of my family!
I feel so, so blessed to have these lovely vintage pictures of my family to look through and enjoy.


~ 1930-1939 ~

These pictures are of my great grandparents on my mom's mom's side of the family...
...our Austrian side.

Edit: I have found some more info and have added it to this post

Anton "Tony" Kern was born in Ober-rakitsh, Austria and left home when he was 19 to work.  A few years after that (we don't know how old he was then), he came on a ship to America.  He was drafted into the U.S. Army during WWI, but didn't go overseas.  Instead, he drove a motorcycle with a sidecar and chauffeured officers around.  He couldn't speak English very well.

Ann Hutain grew up in La Crosse, Wisconsin.  She met Tony through an ad in a German newspaper.  He had placed the ad saying that he wanted a pen pal.  Ann's mother showed her the ad and encouraged her to write to him.  Annie didn't want to.  In fact, what Annie did want, was to become a nun.  But her mother insisted, so Annie wrote to Tony.  They corresponded for quite a while, and when Tony got leave he came for a visit.
They were married on June 2, 1920.
Ann was 18-years-old and Tony was 34-years-old.

Isn't that just the sweetest story?  I'm so glad that Ann didn't become a nun;)

{side note: I once had someone who'd been to Austria tell me that I look Austrian.  who'd have thunk?}
Ann Hutain Kern - 1930
Great Grandma Ann and Great Grandpa Anton Kern - 1931
Frank Hutain, George Hutain (Ann's brothers) and Anton "Tony" Kern - 1931
Mr. and Mrs. Anton Kern

 And along about 1933, Ann and Tony had a baby girl...
Barbara Marie Kern
my Grandma Barb

1934


 


1936

Barbie

1939
And there you go:)
I hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures...especially as I have plenty more to share for the 40s, 50s and 60s.   I also have some from the 20s and 10s if anyone would be interested in seeing those...
*grin*
Happy Trails, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. I love looking at old pictures so much! I can't wait to see more! Looking at these makes me want to see if I can dig up some family history...my grandfather's family came over from Germany, and lived in various places all across the US--I bet there'd be some interesting photos and such from those times!

    That last picture from 1939 is my favorite...that little outfit is too cute!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old photos! Thank you for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Grandma Barb was so adorable! Now we know where you got our love of horses, aye? ;-) And that last picture reminds me of one I saw several years ago--of Shirley Temple!

    God bless,
    ~"Wild Rose"~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old family photos are just the best!! I especially love your ancestor in the Lederhosen from Austria. I once had a pair of those but they are not that comfortable because they are made of leather. It is just so amazing to see where we have come from so many years ago. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you all enjoyed my old photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always interesting to hear these family histories... We do not have many old family photos - not that old, anyway - because they're at other members of our family. But the stories - yes, we always have those!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!