March 11, 2012

Miscellany

Today was an absolutely wonderful day!
Why?  An extra hour of daylight!!
Yes, it was also a very rainy, wet day, but I didn't need to use my flashlight while doing the barn chores this evening=D
Having been born in California and living there till I was 11, I crave sunlight.  It makes the short winter days in Idaho rather difficult to bear sometimes.  I do love the cold weather...
But I'm ready for SPRING to arrive.
Any time now.
The horses have begun to shed their winter coat (which means we'll soon have white hair all over everything), my ewes are getting bigger around the middle, closer to giving birth (they're due anytime after the 21st) and my dad and I saw the first robin of spring the other day
I can't wait to go barefoot again...



During family Bible study this morning, we read from the 6th chapter of Mark, the story of Jesus walking on the water.  

And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land.
And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them.
But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:
For they all saw him, and were troubled.  And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.
And he went up unto them into the shop; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.
Mark 6:47-51

Something that jumped out at me this time, was that the disciples were rowing and rowing and rowing, but making no progress...until Jesus came to them.  There are several ways to look at that, one is that you aren't going anywhere without Him.  The other, is that even when you seem to be getting nowhere, that you're just spinning your wheels uselessly, Jesus is using you.  He's right there to help you.  Also, notice that He would have passed by them, but they cried out.   In fear, yes, but they cried out.  Sometimes, we just need to cry out to Him for help.  And how did He respond to them?  It is I, be not afraid.
Those thoughts were so incredibly comforting to me.  There are so many times that I feel like I'm getting nowhere, that I'm not doing enough for Him.  But I know that He is using me, that this is where I need to be right now, that He has a plan for me, even though I may not see it right now.  That when I cry out, He will answer me, and sooth my fears.

I spent the afternoon resting in my room, working on a few last details of the Silver Screen Blog Party, and watching the BBC Robin Hood TV series (2006).  I started to write a mini review here, but soon realized that it was long enough to deserve it's own post.  Be on the lookout for that sometime tomorrow.


I'll be doing double blog duty for a while here.  My dearest Kellie will be out of town for several weeks and has promoted me to the exalted position of Temporary, Honorary Keeper-of-Kellie's-Blog while she's gone.  My main duty will be to publish the comments that her lovely readers leave, but I might do a few guest posts of my own...in fact, I did invite her readers to my blog party today.

I'm sure missing my Kellie though...and she'll be gone for my b-day, too...and the blog party:(
But we'll do something extra special when she gets back=D

I am so, so excited about the blog party next week!  I had no idea a cyber party could be so exciting to look forward to;)

Besides Robin Hood, I've been watching my share of classic films...
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Designing Woman 
(^I'm so reviewing this one!^)
The Blob
(^an old sci-fi from the late 50s starring Steve McQueen in his first leading role!!!^)
Dark Passage
Key Largo
The Quiet Man
...to name a few.
In case you're wondering, no, I do not spend all of my time watching movies;)
I spend many, many hours of my day doing useful, productive things to keep the household and farm running smoothly.
Just thought I'd mention that least you think me a total couch potato;)

Peter Ronson, Pat Boone, Arlene Dahl and James Mason - Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
I bought everything I need to begin my garden the other day - vegetable seeds and peat moss starter pellets.
Yesterday afternoon was spent hydrating the pellets, tucking seeds into them, and then placing them by the window where the sun can reach them.
It's such a relaxing thing to do, planting seeds and knowing that they'll grow into something that will benefit and feed me and my family.

I hope you all had a blessed Sunday, my dear readers.
Happy Trails, y'all!

P.S. Congrats if you made it all the way to the end of this post - I had a lot to say this evening;)




2 comments:

  1. I am still recovering from setting the clock forward! But the extra sunlight IS very nice.
    I love your thoughts on the Mark passage!! So true!
    I'm excited for your blog party and for your Robin Hood review (I've kind of been wanting to watch that one lately)!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I do have a bit of a love-hate relationship with daylight savings, but it sure does make a difference when you live up north. =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!