March 30, 2012

Silver Screen Blog Party { I Answer the Questions}



Day by Day

 
t h e  q u e s t i o n s

{1}
It seems to be standard procedure for blog party questionnaires to begin by asking you to introduce yourself to the rest of the party goers. Far be it from me to be remiss in my duty, therefore, do tell us a bit about yourself, in as many or few words as you wish.
Well, I'm the hostess of this here blog party, and let me say first that I've enjoyed reading everyone's answers very, very much!
I love living in Idaho, raising sheep, spending time with my family and friends, reading, watching classic films, and studying God's Word.  You can find out more about me on my About Me page.

{2}
What are a few of your favorite classic films?
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Ben-hur
The Great Escape
The Magnificent Seven
Sabrina
That Darn Cat!
The Parent Trap
Funny Face
Guys and Dolls
Rebecca
Casablanca
Charade
...to name a few;)
You can find my other top favorite films on my Bookshelf page.

{3}
Out of those films, who are your favorite characters (not actor, character)?
Robin Hood
Esther (Ben-hur)
Captain Hilts (The Great Escape)
Vin and Brit (Mag 7)
Linus and David Larrabee (Sabrina)
Zeke Kelso & Canoe (The Darn Cat)
Jo Stockton & Dick Avery (Funny Face)
Nathan Detriot (Guys and Dolls)
Mrs. de Winter (Rebecca)
Rick Blain and Victor Lazlo (Casablanca)
Reggie (Charade)

{4}
Share one of your favorite movie lines...
Oh goodness! Did I really say one favorite line?!
All of the lines in the movie line guessing game are my favorites, but I'll got with one I didn't include...

"Why, you speak treason!"
"Fluently."
Maid Marian and Robin Hood, The Adventures of Robin Hood

{5}
What is your opinion on remaking classic films?
As a general rule, I can't stand it when they (whoever "they" are;) remake a classic.  These films are classics for a reason.  There are a few exceptions to this rule.  You've Got Mail and In The Good Old Summertime are both remakes of The Shop Around the Corner, and I love them all for their own unique qualities.

{6}
How about colorizing black and white films?
Absolutely, definitely, decidedly against colorizing black and white films!  They're works of art, created to be viewed at their best in black and white and should not be tampered with.  That being said, there are two colorized films which I grew up watching that I continue to watch in color even when presented with the option to view in the original black and white.  Those two special films would be the original The Shaggy Dog and the original The Absent-Minded Professor

{7}
Name a few of your favorite silver screen actresses.
Olivia de Havilland
Audrey Hepburn
Jean Arthur
Hayley Mills
to name a few.

{8}
Now a few of your favorite actors.
Steve McQueen
Jimmy Stewart
Errol Flynn
Ronald Coleman
to name a few.

{9}
Why are they your favorites?
Firstly, I love all of them because they are excellent actors and actresses.
Specifically... 
I love Olivia's sweetness, the way she brings innocence to a role without making it sappy.
Audrey Hepburn is elegant, classy and a lady.  She's just marvelous in every way.
Jean Arthur's cute little voice makes me smile.
And Hayley Mills...well, she's cute and spunky and makes my day better.

Steve...do you want the short or long version of why I love Steve McQueen?!  As an actor, he's adorable, cute, cool and tough all at the same time.  He can act without saying a word.  As a man, he rose above his less than perfect beginning (an alcoholic mother and an abusive step-father) to become one of the greatest stars of all time.  No, he was not perfect and he had many failings, but he achieved the greatest victory man can when he gave his life to the Lord 3 years before he died.  He completely turned his life around after that.  Now there's a man.
Jimmy Stewart, you are wonderful in every way:)
I like Errol Flynn because he is outrageously good-looking and has a gorgeous accent.
Ronald Coleman is the perfect gentleman and he has an awesome British accent which I absolutely adore listening to.

{10}
Do you enjoy westerns? Why or why not?
Yes, yes, yes! I LOVE westerns!!
I love the hard riding cowboys, the daring feats of marksmanship, and the romance.
And if we're talking Roy Rogers, the songs:)

{11}
Are you a purist when it comes to adapting a book you love to the screen?
Sort of.  There are some things which the filmmakers must get right in order for me to enjoy the film, but I totally understand that some things just don't adapt well to the screen so I can forgive most changes they make.  What annoys me the most is when they change a character's character.  For example, Peter and Edmund Pevensie from Narnia.  They turned Peter the Magnificent into Peter the Jerk in Prince Caspian, and did almost the same thing to Ed in Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  I've read those book so many times and they are very near and dear to my heart, so it really irritated me.  Same thing with Faramir in The Two Towers.  Ugh.  However, I still enjoy all of those films, cause they're awesome=)

{12}
Are there any film adaptations that you enjoyed more than the original book?
Probably War & Peace (1956).  I've started to read War and Peace twice, and just couldn't make it through.  I wanted to love it very much, especially since one of the characters is named Natasha;)  I love the film though!  And it doesn't hurt that Natasha is played by Audrey Hepburn=)

{13}
There are a lot of wonderful classic TV shows, but which one is your favorite?
Wanted: Dead or Alive (well, it stars Steve McQueen;)
Also, Leave it to Beaver.
Oh, and Mission: Impossible.
And...stopping.
;)

{14}
After watching a musical, do you hum and singing snatches of the songs as you go about your day?
Every time!  I don't always remember all of the words, but I sing them anyway;)

{15}
Assuming the answer to the above is "yes", which song, without fail, get's stuck in your head?
It's A Grand Night For Singing (State Fair 1945)
Good Mornin' (Singin' in the Rain)


{16)
What's the corniest film you've ever seen?
Mr. Imperium
Lame, lame, lame.
Don't waste your time.


.....

Happy Trails, y'all!

4 comments:

  1. Loved your answers, Natasha!

    When it comes to Peter in Prince Caspian, no one could have said it better. Most of the movie I just wanted to scream at Peter to come to his senses.

    I'll probably be trying to get my own answers to this tag up later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers! Haha, and I'm glad I'm not he only person who goes around singing Good Morning after watching Singing in the Rain! I am surprised, though--I always watch The Shaggy Dog in black and white! I think it's because I find it gives more atmosphere to certain scenes--like the one in the museum!(;

    Happy belated birthday, by the way! I thoroughly enjoyed your birthday post.

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Hanne-col! Oh, I know! I sit there wanting to yell at Peter, too;) I can't wait to read your answers! =)

    Oh, I definitely agree with you there, Vicki - the museum scene is much, much better in black and white!! It's funny that you'd mention the added atmosphere, because I watch the colorized version for that very reason. As much as I hate to admit it, it does lend something to certain scenes, including my favorite scene, the country club dance!
    The black and white version is actually a few minutes long, too.

    Anyway...thanks for commenting, girls! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasha-- I have been so curious to see how you ranked the movies and enjoyed the points that you made!! There are so many aspects of the classics that appeal to each generation and this blog party, has been great fun to see what is in the mind of viewers. Thank you again for hosting this event!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!