March 4, 2015

Farewell Kim-sah

I've had my guard llama Kim-sah since I first began raising sheep in 2006.
And now, she's gone.

  I didn't realize how attached I'd become.  Llamas are generally standoffish, not very friendly.  And they spit, which doesn't make them something to cuddle with, at least in my book.  But I could count on her.  She had grown a bit cranky and more selfish in her old age, but she was always alert, on the job.  I'll miss seeing her standing out there, keeping a watchful eye on things.  I never lost a sheep to predators with her around.

Calvin will miss her, more than anyone.  She was his buddy, his friend...in his eyes, even if Kimmy didn't share his sentiments.  Hank found her last night because Calvin wouldn't eat until Hank followed him over to where she was.  That's what made me saddest, Calvin being so loyal to her.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to miss having a llama around.  
I'm going to miss having Kimmy around.

Kimmy and Calvin in 2013 at mom and dad's place.


6 comments:

  1. Awww...Kimmy was awesome...we're going to miss her. It was nice to see her out in your field..poor Calvin, and poor you!!
    Hugs to you during this time!! So glad ours are doing great...each loss is hard though...
    More hugs... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss :(
    Llama's are such neat animals. Will you get another to keep your flock safe?

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for the loss of your dear sentinel, Kimmy. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tasha, this is so sad both for you and for Calvin! We often don't think much about how animals of different breeds form very strong attachments to each other, but they do make abiding friendships. It is indeed a sad day on your sheep farm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, animal loyalty is so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Tasha! *Hugs* Losing a pet is always so sad, especially when the other animals feel their loss, too. *Pats faithful Calvin*

    ~"Tom Wild Rose"~
    (who has been there)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!